September 15, 2009

Zebra Spider

I have more spider pictures! This is a household jumping spider, or more specifically the Zebra Spider. You've probably seen these little guys hanging around your house too. Don't worry though, they are harmless to us. They are cool to watch because they are stealthy fast. They have some interesting hunting behaviors. Here's an excerpt on zebra spiders from Wikipedia.

"Like other jumping spiders, these spiders use their large front eyes to locate and stalk their prey. They move slowly towards their prey until they are close enough to pounce on top of their victim, and their hunting behaviour has been described as cat-like. Using their acute eyesight, they are able to accurately judge the distances they need to jump. Before jumping, they glue a silk thread to the surface that they are jumping from so that if they miss the target, they can climb up the thread and try again. They ignore unappetising insects such as ants."

It's true these little spiders have two giant eyes. Normally I don't go around looking for spiders to photograph. So there must be a reason. I found one of these spiders hanging out on my wall chomping on a fly! Flies irritate more than Nancy Pelosi, so you can imagine how excited I was when I seen this spider feast on one of my fly enemies. Okay, I'll get to the pictures already.


I say it all the time, but I encourage you to click on the pictures to enlarge. It's actually worth it this time...that is if you're intrigued by hairy little arachnids with giant eyeballs.


I'm sure you can tell I really like doing these zoom pictures. But these spiders are so small it's hard to get a good look at them otherwise. Look at those eyes!

5 comments:

Jessumca said...

awesome awesome awesome! These are two of the best pictures I've ever seen. and i'm not much of a spider fan... great job! great eye!

Jeremy said...

Thank you Jess! That's a big compliment coming from someone so artistic.
When are you going to blog again? I'm feeling deprived!!

Justin said...

Have you ever thought about doing photography? I'm not trying to flatter you needlessly, I seriously think you could do it professionally. It takes crazy talent to get those kinds of shots and you get them with a normal joe-shmo camera (a higher end joe-shmo camera, though). National Geographic is small potatoes without you, man.

Jeremy said...

Ahh shucks guys. Thank you for the compliments.
I've never given much thought of doing photography as a job. It's definately one of my favorite hobbies. I do find myself constantly wanting a bigger more expensive camera.

Jeremy said...

By the way, I don't care what anyone says, flattery is completely underrated.

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Jeremy's Forum ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP