November 8, 2009

Update to Previous Post

After my previous post I felt it was necessary to do a follow up and explain things a little.

First off the desire to move has been on our minds for a while now. The thought of moving back east was something that occurred to us fairly recently. Since then, we've crunched numbers, analyzed scenarios, done extensive research and discovered, yes, moving back east is a real possibility. When we figured that out, my brain has been flooded with anxious excitement. That prompted me to dig deeper, find more information about possible locations. I've done so much research and thought about it so much I've given myself stress headaches over it. However, this excitement for the past few weeks has only been shared between Becka and I. I had to get it off my chest. I figured telling people collectively on my blog might be a good way to go.

But then again, what exactly am I telling you? I'm saying, hey, we may or may not move far far away in approximately 5 years. I know that sounds so vague and tentative. I can tell you what I do know for sure.

  • Within 5 years we're going to move somewhere. I can say that with absolute certainty. Whether that's New England, Las Vegas, Tacoma, California or Twin Falls, I have no idea. But right now, somewhere in New England is at the top of our list.

  • Becka and I do not fear the unknown. Not knowing what may or may not happen is very exciting to us. So moving back east, to us, is a big deal. That idea of living somewhere that's practically foreign gives me an adrenaline boost.

  • When we do move, it will be careful and calculated. Everything will be considered. We've made several mistakes before when we've moved and we absolutely have to minimize our mistakes the next time. We've even made in-town moves and really screwed things up.

  • Idaho isn't for me. I know I keep coming back but the *older* I get, the more I realize Idaho doesn't fit me. And when I say me, I mean us, as in Becka and I. Our decision is made together and we just so happen to feel the same way. Now, I don't want to make it sound like I look down on prideful Idahoans because I don't. There's a lot Idaho has to offer. I've just discovered more and more over the past several years that I don't fit in here like I used to. Not because I'm chubby, because I've changed.



Situations can change. There are so many variables when you consider moving somewhere. Five years from now our situations can be completely different. I assume they will be. And who knows what the economy will be like five years from now. That could very well dictate the decisions we make when it comes to moving our entire family somewhere. I'll admit right now there's always the possibility I could have a different opinion about Idaho in five years. Or, maybe we'll want to move to Texas. I hear Denton is nice. Or maybe we'll want to move to Florida, I don't know. Although, we can probably rule out Florida due to the swift population rise of Burmese pythons. Yikes!! Listen. Snakes don't scare me. Snakes the size of a telephone pole scares the crap out of me. I'm not living by anything that can swallow me.

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked. I watch way too much National Geographic. Anyway, the future is uncertain but despite that uncertainty, Becka and I have set apart some goals. I want Becka and I to be able to dictate our own lives. Do what's best for our family. I know we will, whether we do that here or 2,000 miles away.


*Editor's Note: By no means am I implying that I'm getting old. I'm reminded constantly that I'm still just a kid. What I mean is, the more I mature, not old in the literal sense.

3 comments:

Brent Hope said...

A few things about moving:

1. Crime. Big Crime in the east. Just by virtue of numbers you will have more crime and lots of it. In fact the word crime was invented in New England. Here is used to be called malfeasance.

2. Political climate. There are three or four huge "progressive" areas in this country. Seattle, SF and most definitely the New England area. Massachusetts being the worst.

3. Humidity. Have you looked at the flaming humidity back east? Nasty.

4. Mountains and clean air. There is nothing like the Rocky Mountains and the thin clear air that exists here.

5. Cox may sell here in the next couple of years in which case I'll forget all the excuses listed and move myself.

Good News:

The church is strong and different outside this inner mountain west. It's a good experience so where ever you live the members in that area will latch on to you!

Becka said...

Oh, Brent!!! We love you so much! It's exciting to think about all the different experiences we could have.

I get so anxious and excited to do these types of things that I want to do it right now. I know it's smart to plan, plan, plan but I don't really want to!

Jeremy said...

Believe me, I've considered all 5 things you listed, among many other variables.

1. We're not planning on moving to a major metro area. In the east you don't have to. That alone narrows us down to places with less crime. I have a few places in mind specifically and according to the research I've done so far crime is very low in those places. Crime is one of the major factors we're considering.

2. Massachusetts is bad even though they have a LDS Governor. Again not moving to a major metro area reduces the liberal domination. Despite that, the places we have our eyes on are still about 50-50. However the general attitude of New England is liberal. I'm not going to let that scare me out of an entire region though.

3. No denying the humidity. We were talking about that last night. I was explaining to Becka how it's really humid in the summer and extremely cold in the winter. I hate COLD. That makes me more nervous then the humidity does.

4. I'll definitely miss the thin mountain air of the rockies.

5. We've definitely considered the uncertainty of Cox. That's something that sort of comforts me when I think of moving far away.


We have a long time to consider all possibilities. It's my nature to analyze things, sometimes to the point of headaches.
Right now the plans we have are sort of a template for what might happen. All possibilities will be considered before we even begin to make any real plans.

I can't stress enough that any decision we make is years from now. Situations can easily change. I just wanted people aware of our potential plans. I may have brought it up too early, but I had to get it off my chest.

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Jeremy's Forum ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP