April 20, 2009

Hike to Table Rock in Boise

Today, Eric, Timo, and myself hiked up to Table Rock in Boise. I've done this hike a few times before with relative ease. In the past few months I've eaten too many twinkies and jumbo shrimp (not together) and consequently gained a lot of unhealthy weight. I was reminded of this when I was gassed halfway up the trail. So much for "relative ease." Before we started I was a slightly concerned about little Timo having the stamina for the entire hike. I quickly realized I was the weak one while both boys probably could have ran the whole way. Anyway, I kept hydrating, caught my second wind, and had a blast as usual. Here's some pictures.


Here's where our trail begins. You can see table rock at the top of the hill in the distance. At 3,700 feet, table rock is only about 1,000 feet higher in elevation then downtown Boise. With the winding, zigzag trails, you can safely assume it's at least a mile hike.




On the way up, you walk right by the Old Idaho State Penitentiary. The prison was open for slightly more than 100 years until it closed in 1973. Also, the prison is rumored to be haunted. Reality TV show, "Ghost Adventures" aired an episode they did at the prison a few months ago. In my opinion these ghost shows are bogus. Despite that, the rumored hauntings at the prison are well known in the Boise area.




After sweating out 55 gallons of water, we reach the top. When this huge cross is lit up at night, you can see it from several miles away.



Eric and Timo, with the greater Boise area in the background.

This lizard was hanging around at the top too. Look at the mosquito next to it!

Check out those scales!!

Eric and Timo inside on of the small caves at the top.

On our way back down now. How about these two picture posers?

4 comments:

Brent Hope said...

Great pictures!! I want to go.

Nice lizard!

Jeremy said...

We'll have to hike it together sometime. It's pretty easy...usually.

Duane Colyar said...

Great view! Is there a gondola car to ride on?

Jeremy said...

That would be the way to go!

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Jeremy's Forum ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP